Erb & Henry Equip., Inc., which began in 1898 under the name of Houck & Henry, was originally located on North Reading Avenue in New Berlinville, Pennsylvania. We have undergone many changes in our more than 100 years of history.
We were started in 1898 by Thomas Houck and Randolph Henry. Since that was before the age of the automobile, we specialized in farm implements and were an International Harvester dealer from our first day. In 1918, with the advent of the automobile, tractors were introduced to the farm industry and we sold our first tractor.
In 1921 the business was acquired by William R. Erb, who was an employee of Houck and Henry. Erb managed the business alone for two years until 1923, when a partnership was formed between Erb and Isaac Henry. For 35 years, we were known as Erb & Henry, and we incorporated under the name in 1958 and continued as Erb & Henry Inc. for 15 more years. In 1973 the company was purchased by the late Lawrence R. Clauss, Sr., Lawrence R. Clauss, Jr., and Sandra R. Moser, and is operated under the name of Erb & Henry Equip., Inc.
Through the years the volume of business has continued to grow. In 1947 the present store was built and we moved from North Reading Avenue to Henry Avenue. In 1974, with the advent of larger combines and tractors, a warehouse and shop area was built behind the original buildings to handle the larger equipment. With current additions, the company has again improved it’s facilities with the customer’s interest always coming first.
Over the years the cornerstone of our company has been parts, service, and a commitment to its customers. This policy has not changed at Erb & Henry. In the late 70’s we added computers to our office and parts departments to help make both departments more efficient, and to serve the needs of their customers even better.
Erb & Henry Equip., Inc. has been an International Harvester dealership since the day we started. In 1984, Tenneco purchased International Harvester and became Case/IH. In 1993, with the agricultural industry slowly declining in the area, the company became a Kubota Tractor dealer to better accommodate the changing industry. Erb & Henry remained a Case/IH parts and service dealer but opted to drop the agricultural line of equipment. The company has also been a Cub Cadet dealership since Cub Cadet began producing lawn equipment in 1961. The company also sells Brouwer Turf Equipment, Grasshopper, Befco, Bush Hog, Rhino, Vicon, Provonost, Meyer Snow Equipment, and many other short lines.
Erb & Henry also has an extensive parts inventory that carries parts for all major equipment lines we sell and service.
As we head into the new millennium, they will continue to operate under the same attitude we have had for over 100 years; parts, service, and customer satisfaction.